Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

We can only pass on child support if we receive it from the liable parent. We will try to collect unpaid child support payments for you. If we cannot find out where the liable parent works or lives, we may ask you for information.

If you have information that may help us to collect your overdue child support, you can contact us.

There are several actions we can take to collect from liable parents with child support debt. For example, we can ask for deductions from :

  • salary or wages
  • benefit payments
  • ACC payments
  • bank accounts
  • any other money that may be payable to them, for example, a trust account or superannuation pay-out.

Child support - contact us

Liable parents overseas

If the liable parent who owes you child support has moved overseas, we need to know.

If they're living in Australia, we may be able to ask Services Australia to collect the outstanding payments on our behalf. If the liable parent lives in a country that has joined the 2007 Child Support Convention, we may ask that country to collect payments on our behalf.

Overseas child support

Liable parents with child support debt

If you receive too much child support

If your child support assessment changes, you may receive too much child support. It's important you tell us as soon as possible about any changes that may affect your assessment  to help avoid an overpayment.

Overpaid child support normally needs to be repaid to us. We recognise that this could cause difficulties and we’ll work with you to be sure any repayments are at an amount you can afford. If you're still entitled to receive ongoing payments, we'll usually arrange with you to reduce those payments by an agreed amount until we collect the overpayment.

In some circumstances, we may be able to write off the overpayment. Contact us to discuss your situation.

Keeping your child support up to date

If you receive child support, you must:

  • keep your contact details with us up to date
  • tell us about any changes to your income or care arrangements as soon as you can.

Update my child support details

Child support - contact us

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 25 Feb 2021
Jump back to the top of the page