Skip to main content

In certain situations, a liable parent whether living in New Zealand or overseas can be made exempt from paying their child support assessment.

Temporary exemptions

You can apply for a temporary exemption when you're:

  •  in a New Zealand or overseas prison, hospital, or a treatment facility for at least 13 weeks in a row
  • suffering a long-term illness or injury for at least 13 weeks and cannot do paid work because of the illness or injury
  • under 16 years old.

If you're under 16 years old and not already exempt, please call us.

Contact child support 

Permanent exemption

If you are the victim of a sex offence, you can apply for a permanent exemption from paying child support for a child. There does not need to have been a conviction for the offence, but you will need to be able to show that an offence occurred.  

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 13 Jul 2021
Jump back to the top of the page