Skip to main content

Budget 2024 | The Government has confirmed changes and provided more information on FamilyBoost. Find out more: FamilyBoost

Budget 2024 | The Government has confirmed changes to personal income tax, the independent earner tax credit, in-work tax credit, and the minimum family tax credit. Find out more: Personal income tax threshold changes

Use this form to send a response to a child support review.

Liable parents and receiving carers can use this form to give information for the hearing.

We may request a response through myIR. If we do this, you will receive an alert that you can respond to, and you will not need to follow the process on this page.

Before you start

You'll need your:

  • IRD number
  • current address
  • contact details.

For the future hearing, decide whether you want to:

  • attend
  • bring a support person
  • have a representative in your place.

Download and fill in the form

Send us the form in myIR

Send us your completed form as a message in myIR.

Make sure you let us know the message is for child support. Attach your completed IR471 form and any supporting documents to the message.

You do not need to sign the form when sending it to us in myIR.

How to send a message in myIR

Log in to myIR

Check you've included your correct information and any documents we need. Sign the form and send your documents to us at:

Child Support
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

Child support - contact us

What happens next

Everyone in the review will have access to the information you give in your response. If you choose to take part in the hearing, we'll:

  • give you the information provided by the applicant
  • organise a hearing with you that matches your choices in your response.

My responsibilities

If you want to take part in the review hearing, we must get your response within 14 days of the date either:

  • the copy of the application was forwarded to you
  • notification of the application was sent.

A hearing takes around 30 minutes and is:

  • informal compared to court hearings
  • held separately with each person in the review
  • for clarifying information.

Hearings are carried out by a review officer who is contracted by us. You can choose whether you take part in the review or not. Taking part allows the review officer to consider your side of the story, as well as the applicant's.

The review officer makes a decision after the hearings with each person involved, usually within 3 weeks. We'll send a copy of their decision, including their reasons for making it, to everyone in the review.

The information you give must be relevant to the review. You should only provide information you're comfortable with giving to the other people in the review.

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 30 Jun 2023
Jump back to the top of the page