Skip to Content

Child support
Turuki Tamariki

Overseas payments for child support

If you're a paying parent living outside New Zealand, you can pay child support by:

  • posting us a bank draft made out in New Zealand dollars, with a negotiating New Zealand bank printed on it
  • posting us a personal cheque in the currency of the country where you're now living
  • making a telegraphic transfer at a bank, or
  • using your credit or debit card.

Please never send a money order in a foreign currency, as it can only be redeemed in the country where that currency is used.

See where to post your cheque or bank draft.

Telegraphic transfer

Telegraphic transfers (also known as wire transfers, fedwire transfers and SWIFT payments) allow you to quickly send money to us from an overseas bank.

Most trading and retail banks provide a telegraphic transfer service. However, not all banks can make these transfers in New Zealand dollars (which they must be for child support payments).

Telegraphic transfers can be expensive and charges applied by banks can vary. You'll need to contact your bank to enquire about their fees and to see if they can send the amount in New Zealand dollars.

Each bank has its own unique telegraphic transfer from that you'll need to complete to make a payment to us.  You can use the Telegraphic transfer form (under "Forms and guides") to help you fill it in.

Credit or debit card payment

You can make a credit or debit card payment through our online facility with either MasterCard or Visa.

From July 2010 you can use your credit or debit card to make all online payments to us. Westpac New Zealand will apply a convenience fee of 1.42%  for this service, except for overseas payments of:

  • student loans, and
  • non-custodial child support payments.

Make a debit or credit card payment now


Date published: 30 Jun 2010

Back to top