Income tax Dates
FEB 7End-of-year income tax and Working for Families bills are due, unless your tax agent has an extension of time to file your income tax return.
FEB 28AIM instalments are due if you have a March balance date.
FEB 28Provisional tax payments are due if you have a March balance date and use the ratio option.
Who gets a request for more information
From late May to the end of July, we process income tax assessments, so not everyone will get theirs at the same time.
If you have a tax agent, you or your tax agent (if they get your mail) will receive an Income tax assessment - more information required notice if you have:
- other income to tell us about
- any joint bank accounts earning interest
- expenses to claim against your income
- schedular payments
- ACC attendant care payments.
What you need to do
Check the details we’ve provided and tell us about:
- any missing or incorrect information
- any income over $200 (before tax) you received that is not showing on the request for more information
- changes to your contact information
- changes to your bank account details
- expenses you are eligible to claim against your income.
Once you’ve checked all of the details and made any changes, you need to complete your assessment.
Expenses you can claim
You can claim these expenses against your income:
- the cost for someone to complete and file your income tax return or assessment. For example, any amount you paid an accountant or tax agent
- commission on interest or dividend income (but not bank fees)
- interest you paid us if you were late paying your tax
- expenses against your schedular payments
- interest on money you borrowed to invest – if the investment will produce taxable income
- premiums on loss of earnings insurance – if the benefit from the policy is taxable income.
What happens next
If we do not hear from you within 45 days (or by 31 March of the following year if your tax agent has an extension of time), we'll complete your assessment on the basis that the information we have is correct.
We will send you a finalised income tax assessment to let you know if you:
- are due a refund, or
- have tax to pay, or
- paid the right amount of tax during the year.