Skip to main content

Temporary system shutdown | On Friday 20 October from 3pm our phonelines will close. From 4pm our offices and online services will close. All services will be available from 8am Tuesday 24 October. Find out more

Before applying for a New Zealand foreign trust's (NZFT) registration, you'll need to:

If your NZFT meets the criteria for an offshore person, apply for an IRD number as an offshore non-incorporated trust. If your NZFT does not, apply for an IRD number as a New Zealand business or organisation.

Apply for an IRD number for an offshore non-incorporated trust

Apply for an IRD number for a New Zealand business or organisation

The contact trustee or tax agent must complete and send us the following forms. They may be required to make a payment.

New Zealand foreign trust registration form - IR607

You'll need to attach:

  • the trust deed
  • any documents that amend or supplement the trust deed - for example, any amending deeds which remove or appoint trustees.

New Zealand foreign trust connected person schedule - IR607A

For each person connected to the NZFT, you'll need to provide their:

  • name
  • role - that is, connection to the trust
  • taxpayer identification number in their jurisdiction of tax residence, or IRD number if they are a New Zealand tax resident
  • address and contact details.

You'll need to make a declaration that the NZFT's connected persons have agreed to provide us with certain information.

New Zealand foreign trust settlements and distributions schedule - IR900A

Registration fee

The contact trustee or tax agent may also need to pay the prescribed registration fee of $270, GST included.

You will not need to pay this fee if all of the resident foreign trustees are:

Make your payment to us through internet banking, filling in the payment details accurately.

Paying fees for New Zealand foreign trusts

Send us the forms and attachments

You can email the forms and attachments to:

[email protected]

Or, you can post them to:

International Revenue Strategy
Inland Revenue
PO Box 2198
Wellington 6140

What happens next

We'll process your request within 10 working days. If we need more information, we'll contact you.

Once we confirm your registration, we'll send you a letter and make it available in your myIR account. You'll see an NZFT account on your homepage in myIR, which you can use to manage the trust's details and submit annual returns. You'll need to keep these up to date to retain NZFT registration.

We'll also send you a GST invoice when we receive your payment for the registration fee, if you were required to pay it. 

My responsibilities

You or your tax agent will need to keep up to date with managing the trust's details and filing its annual returns.

File an annual return for a New Zealand foreign trust

Tax agents

Non-compliance with the disclosure rules can result in the trustee losing their access to the foreign sourced income exemption for the relevant income year and/or being charged the Foreign Exemption civil penalty (of up to $1,000) for failure to comply. 

Last updated: 31 Mar 2023
Jump back to the top of the page