Skip to main content

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

Te tūhono i a KiwiSaver mēnā he kaimahi tākuhu, kāore rānei i te mahi Joining KiwiSaver if I'm self-employed or not working

KiwiSaver is not just for employees
Self-employed or those not in paid work
You can join KiwiSaver at any time

You can join KiwiSaver by contacting the scheme provider of your choice directly.

Choosing a KiwiSaver provider

You and your KiwiSaver provider will need to agree:

  • any terms and conditions.

You can pay your KiwiSaver contributions directly to your provider or through us.

If you're paying your KiwiSaver contributions through us, you can:

  • use the ‘Pay tax’ option and select 'KiwiSaver' through your internet banking
  • set up an automatic payment.

Make a payment


You can change your contribution rate at any time. Discuss with your provider about changing your contribution rate to one that works best with your situation.

If you start earning a salary or wages you will need to have deductions taken from your pay. Tell your employer you belong to KiwiSaver and they will start deducting contributions.

Last updated: 28 Jun 2021
Jump back to the top of the page