Skip to main content

Service changes and updates IR offices, myIR and phone lines (SPK2IR) are unavailable until the morning of Thursday 28 October for planned system maintenance. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) You will not be able to apply for the RSP in myIR until the morning of Thursday 28 October. Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August can apply in myIR from 28 October. Applications for a 4th payment round are planned to open on 29 October. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) The government has announced an increase to the amount and frequency of the RSP from 12 November. Find out more

If you're buying residential property, make sure you know what your tax obligations will be when you come to sell the property.

Check the buying and selling situations below to find out whether or not the profit from selling a property you intend to buy or sell might be taxable.

Information to give property lawyers and conveyancers

Regardless of what sort of residential property you are selling, you will need to provide information to your property lawyer or conveyancer.

Depending on your situation, information may include:

  • your IRD number
  • your taxpayer identification number (another country's equivalent of an IRD number), if you have one
  • a completed Residential land withholding tax declaration - IR1101 form.

If you are related to the buyer you must provide details of your relationship to them if they are considered to be "immediate family", which in this case means a person who is:

  • your spouse, civil union partner, or de facto partner
  • your parent, sister, or brother, or
  • your child or child's spouse or partner
  • the parent, child, sister or brother of your spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner.
Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page