Skip to main content

Budget 2024 | The Government has confirmed changes to personal income tax, the independent earner tax credit, in-work tax credit, and the minimum family tax credit. Find out more: Personal income tax threshold changes

If you're a New Zealand tax resident, you pay New Zealand tax on your worldwide income, including income from selling overseas property.

This means New Zealand’s tax rules apply to any property you buy or sell in other countries.

If a property sale would be taxable in New Zealand, you need to:

  • include the overseas income in your New Zealand income tax return
  • pay any tax owing.

Paying tax to other countries

If you're a New Zealand tax resident who earned income selling a property in another country, you may also need to pay tax there under that country's tax rules.

You may be able to get credit for taxes paid overseas on the same property if a double tax agreement (DTA) is in place with that country.

Overseas property sales also come under the bright-line property rule, where you may need to pay tax if you sell a property within a certain time-frame.

If this situation applies to you and you need advice, contact your tax advisor.

Renting out an overseas property
Double tax agreements (DTAs)

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 18 Oct 2023
Jump back to the top of the page