Skip to main content

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

GST and rental income from renting out residential property either short-term or long-term
People who get rental income from renting out residential property

There's no GST to pay on rental income from long-term residential renting. You also cannot claim GST on your long-term rental expenses.

Short-term rental income is different. You may have GST to pay on income you get from renting out residential property short-term (for example through Airbnb, Bookabach or Holiday Houses) because it’s a taxable activity.  

You may have to pay GST on any short-term rental income from renting out:

  • a room in your house
  • your whole house
  • another residential property (not your main home), for example an investment property or one you intended to sell or flip
  • a cottage, caravan or sleep-out (on your property)
  • a holiday home.

GST when you’re registered 

If you’re registered for GST, there are ongoing requirements once you’re registered. These are:

  • administrative requirements, such as filing your GST returns, issuing invoices and keeping good records
  • change-in-use adjustments if you change your property's use from taxable to non-taxable use
  • GST when you sell your property.

GST (goods and services tax)

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page