Short-term rental income is different. You may have GST to pay on income you get from renting out residential property short-term (for example through Airbnb, Bookabach or Holiday Houses) because it’s a taxable activity.
You may have to pay GST on any short-term rental income from renting out:
- a room in your house
- your whole house
- another residential property (not your main home), for example an investment property or one you intended to sell or flip
- a cottage, caravan or sleep-out (on your property)
- a holiday home.
GST when you’re registered
If you’re registered for GST, there are ongoing requirements once you’re registered. These are:
- administrative requirements, such as filing your GST returns, issuing invoices and keeping good records
- change-in-use adjustments if you change your property's use from taxable to non-taxable use
- GST when you sell your property.