The effective date we'll use for a transfer depends on how and when the credit came about and where it's going to. You can use the Transfer date calculator service on the Tax preparer tab or on this page to calculate the effective date and maximum amount that can be transferred.
Transfers between the same or associated customers
We transfer credits using the effective date that best benefits the customer. This means we'll either:
- maximise the credit interest (generally today's date)
- minimise debit interest and/or late payment penalties (this is the later of the due date for the debt or the day the credit became available).
Credit assessments are transferred using the effective date of the return credit transaction. For example, for a return to 31 March 2020 the effective date is 1 April 2020. For an early return, the effective date is the date the return was filed.
Payments are transferred using the day the payment was made.
Credit interest is always transferred using the day the request was made.
Transfers between non-associated customers
When transferring credits between customers that are not associated, the effective date is the later of either:
- the day the transfer was requested
- the day after the relevant return was filed for the period in which the refund arose.
Donations tax credit claims
When requesting transfer of donations tax credits the effective date is the later of either:
- the day the transfer was requested (or a day after the request was made)
- the day after the customer applies for a donation tax credit.
The effective date for transferring GST credits depends on when the GST return is filed.
|If the GST return was filed ...||The effective date will be ...|
|Before the due date||
The earlier of either:
|On the due date||The day after the end of the GST return period.|
|After the due date||The day after the return was filed.|
|Not an associated customer||
The later of either:
Note: This table is effective from 1 April 2018.
This calculator will work out the effective date and maximum amount that can be transferred from one tax type, period and/or taxpayer to another.Go to this tool