Skip to main content

North Island flooding | Many of you have been affected by the flooding in the North Island and may need help keeping up with your tax obligations. Find out more

If you're made redundant, then KiwiSaver contributions deducted from your pay will stop when your employment ends.

Contributions will not be deducted from any redundancy payment you get.

When you start a new job

When you start a new job your employer will automatically start deducting your KiwiSaver contributions from your pay.

While you're not working

Voluntary contributions

If you make voluntary contributions to your KiwiSaver account while you are not working, you could get the government's yearly member tax credit payment.

Getting the KiwiSaver government contribution

Savings suspension

If you take a savings suspension, you will have a break in your saving for up to 1 year.

You have to be a KiwiSaver member for 12 months before you can do this.

Taking a savings break

If you're in financial hardship

If you're in significant financial hardship, you can apply to have your money released early.

You should apply to your scheme provider.

Other redundancy information

Redundancy and income tax

Redundancy and Working for Families

Redundancy and student loans

Redundancy and child support

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page