Skip to main content

Changes to the myIR login screen are coming You will not be able to use myIR between 1pm Saturday 8 October and 8am Monday 10 October. This is so we can update our external authentication system. From Monday 10 October the myIR login page will have a new look and feel, but the login process will not change.

Cost of Living Payment Eligible customers will have the payment automatically paid into their bank accounts by the end of the day 3 October 2022. The payments will be staggered and Credit Union customers may not receive their payment until 4 October 2022. Cost-of-Living-Payment

If the principal reason you are overseas is to accompany your partner for their study, government-funded scholarship for study or internship, or work, you may be able to keep your student loan interest-free.

To apply for this you must remain a New Zealand tax resident.

If you will be overseas for more than 10 months (325 days) you will need to complete a New Zealand Tax Resident Questionnaire - IR886 form.

Tax residency status for individuals

You will need to send us proof that you were living with your partner before you left New Zealand. This could be:

  • a marriage or civil union certificate
  • joint documents such as a tenancy agreement, utility bills, property mortgage documents, or bank statements.

We will need proof that your partner is working or studying overseas and they meet the requirements explained in one of the following pages.

Studying overseas when I have a student loan

Working overseas when I have a student loan

Interning or studying overseas with a Government-funded scholarship when I have a student loan

Apply to keep my student loan interest-free overseas

Last updated: 28 Apr 2020
Jump back to the top of the page