Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

Your rights

  • You can get someone else's advice about your legal obligations.
  • No one can see your student loan information without your consent, unless the law lets them see it.
  • You can nominate someone to act on your behalf with your student loan account - this may be useful if you are travelling overseas.
  • You can access your student loan information at any time in myIR.
  • You can request a statement of account at any time.
  • You can object to any information about your student loan.
  • You can access the information we hold about you in your Inland Revenue records.

If you think the information we have about you or your loan is wrong, you can ask us to change it. You might need to send us a legal document to make some changes. For example, we may need to see your birth certificate or marriage certificate to change the name that’s in our records. We will either change the information or explain to you why we do not think it should change.

Your responsibilities

  • Make sure we have your correct name and contact details.
  • Tell us if you are going overseas for 6 months or more, and the dates you leave and return.
  • Meet all your student loan repayment obligations until your loan is repaid.
  • Keep a record of your adjusted net income, where applicable.

What we do with your information

We might ask you for information to work out your repayments and obligations under the Inland Revenue Acts, including the Student Loan Scheme Act 2011. We may give this information to:

  • some government agencies
  • another country, if we have an information supply agreement with them
  • Statistics New Zealand, for statistical purposes only.

Go to our privacy policy for more information.

Privacy policy

Disputing a decision

You can dispute a decision if you:

  • do not agree with it
  • think relevant information was not taken into consideration.

To have a decision reviewed you will need to enter into the formal disputes process.


Last updated: 14 Feb 2022
Jump back to the top of the page