Skip to main content

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

You can take a break from repaying your student loan for up to 12 months while you travel overseas. You need to let us know if you want a temporary repayment suspension either:

  • before you go overseas
  • within 6 months of leaving.

During your temporary repayment suspension, interest is added to your student loan but you do not need to make repayments.

You need to give us an alternate contact person

When you apply for a temporary repayment suspension you need to give us an alternate contact person for you. This is in case we need to get hold of you but have not been able to. We'll need their name and contact details. They must live in New Zealand and be 18 or older.

How to apply

You can apply for a temporary repayment suspension in myIR or by calling us.

Go to your student loan account in myIR and select 'More'. In the 'Travelling overseas' section select 'Apply for a repayment suspension'.

Log in to myIR

Student loans - contact us

Last updated: 18 Jun 2021
Jump back to the top of the page