Skip to main content

Security From 30 October, we are increasing the security of our websites. If you have an old browser, you may need to update it.

Te kerēme tāwere tāke mō ngā takoha Claim tax credits for donations


You can submit receipts for your donations in myIR during the year, or you can submit them all at the end of the tax year.

You still need to wait until the end of the tax year to receive your tax credit.

Check the organisation is on our approved list

Check the organisation you donated to is on our approved list.

Gather your information

You'll need:

  • receipts for your donations
  • your bank account number
  • to be registered to a Donation tax credit account
    (You can register in myIR - select it from the list when you click on 'More' under 'I want to' in myIR.)

Submit copies of your receipts online.

At any time 

Upload photos or scans of your receipts to myIR at any time including after the tax year has finished.

You will not need to file an IR526 claim form.

What happens next

After 31 March we'll automatically calculate tax credits and pay directly into your bank account. It will be processed much faster than if you submit a paper donation tax credit claim. 

If you are an IR3 filer, your donation tax credit will be held until we've received confirmation of your income.

If you have tax debt, we'll put the tax credit towards this and refund you the rest.

You can post us a paper form instead.

You'll need:

  • your IRD number
  • your spouse or partner's IRD number
    (if you're both claiming for the same donation)
  • as above, your receipts and bank account number.

Send your completed tax credit claim form and original receipts to:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39090
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

Tax credit claim form IR526 (PDF 103KB) Download form