Skip to main content

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

You can search for unclaimed money in myIR or through our website.

Both ways to search are based on the name you are searching for. If you're claiming for yourself, myIR is the quickest and easiest way.

Before you start

When you submit a claim, you will need to provide information that helps confirm who the owner of the money is. You can also attach evidence to your claim. For example: 

  • Providing past contact information such as addresses you lived at when you had your account relating to the money.
  • Attaching a copy of an old statement or other correspondence showing your connection with the organisation or person who passed the money to us.
  • For an estate, providing a copy of the will.

Search in myIR for unclaimed money

You can use this option to search for yourself using the name shown in myIR and associated with your IRD number. It is not available for organisations, trusts or estates.

As we know who you are, you do not have to supply identification details. You just need to give us additional information about the connection you have with the money.

  • After you log in to myIR, go to 'I want to...'
  • Go to 'Registration, application and enrolment'.
  • Select 'Apply for unclaimed money'. The form allows you to search for unclaimed money and apply if any matches your details.

Log in to myIR

Search our website for unclaimed money

 Use this option if you are searching:

  • on behalf of an organisation, trust or estate
  • for an individual person other than yourself
  • for yourself as an individual under another name
  • for yourself and you do not have a myIR account.

To submit a claim for the money if you believe it is yours, you will need to select the relevant search results and supply additional information about yourself and the connection you have with the money.

If you are acting on behalf of someone else, you will need to provide evidence that you have the authority to act for them.

5 minutes
Search for and claim unclaimed money

If you do not have a myIR account, you can still search for and claim unclaimed money here.

Go to this tool

What happens next

We will process your claim in 10-12 weeks from when we receive it.

When we receive your claim, we will check the information you have sent against the records we hold. We will contact you if we need any more information.

Once we have processed your claim we will let you know the outcome. If your claim is successful, we will pay you the money into the bank account you have supplied. Alternatively, if you request it, we can transfer the money to a tax debt you may have.

Last updated: 12 Sep 2023
Jump back to the top of the page