Make a payment
Working for Families Tax Credits Ngā tukunga tāke me whakaruruhau te iwi

Check your Working for Families Tax Credits payment

It’s important to check your payments from us to make sure they are correct.

When you will receive your payment

We pay Working for Families Tax Credits to the principal caregiver.

The payment options to receive Working for Families Tax Credits from us are:

  • weekly or fortnightly (made on a Tuesday), or
  • as an annual lump sum after the end of the tax year (31 March). These are generally paid in July.

Public holidays

If a scheduled payment date falls on a public holiday we may pay it early.

Check your payments

You should check regularly to make sure you're getting the right amount.

You can check your payments online in myIR

Check your notice of entitlement

We'll send you a notice of entitlement if you receive weekly or fortnightly payments. This will be sent within four weeks of receiving your application.

Your notice shows:

  • all the information you gave us about your family and income, and
  • the amount we'll pay you weekly or fortnightly.

Contact us if any of the information in your notice is incorrect. You can do this by:

What your notice looks like

These images show what your notice of entitlement will look like.

Page 1

An example of the first page of the Working for Families Tax Credits certificate of entitlement.

Larger version of page 1 (76kb)

Page 2

An example of the first page of the Working for Families Tax Credits certificate of entitlement.

Larger version of page 2 (60kb)

Change when and how you get paid

You can change when you get paid at any time during the year.

If you want to change your payment from an annual lump sum to weekly or fortnightly payments, you may need to estimate your family income for the tax year. We'll work out your entitlement based on this estimate.

If you underestimate your income you may end up with a bill to pay back.

If you overestimate you may receive the underpayment as a lump sum after the tax year.

Changing your payment frequency

If you want to change when you get paid, you can tell us by:

Changing your bank account details

If you want to change the bank account we make your payments to you can:

  • use our online My family details and income service
  • call us on 0800 227 773, or
  • send us a letter that includes:
    • your full name and IRD number
    • the full name of the bank account holder who must be the principal caregiver, whether individual or joint account
    • the new bank account number, including bank name, branch name and address
    • confirmation that the bank account number is for your Working for Families Tax Credits payments
    • a contact phone number, and
    • your signature.

How to avoid an overpayment

An overpayment means we paid you too much money, and we'll send you a bill after the end of the tax year.

Follow these guidelines to reduce your chances of being overpaid:

  • Tell us about any change in your family or income information straight away.
  • If you estimate your income be as accurate as possible. If you're not sure about your income, it's better to overestimate.
  • Review your estimated income regularly to make sure it's still accurate.
  • If we send you a letter re-estimating your income, check it's correct and not too high or low.
  • Consider receiving your payment as an annual lump sum if your income is uncertain.
  • Make sure you and your spouse/partner complete a tax return if you're required to. If you separated from your spouse/partner during the last tax year they'll also need to complete a tax return. We work out your entitlement after you have filed your returns.
  • Make sure you receive payments from only one source. You can receive these from either Work and Income or us, but not both at the same time.
  • If you delay applying for paid parental leave (PPL) your payment is backdated. If you're already receiving Best Start tax credit (BSTC), you could be overpaid BSTC by receiving both payments for the same period. To avoid an overpayment you can either:
    • apply for PPL first
    • delay your BSTC payments by contacting us on 0800 227 773.

Next steps