A tax agent is a person who prepares the annual returns of income for ten or more taxpayers and is one of the following:
- a practitioner carrying on a professional public practice
- a person carrying on a business or occupation in which returns of income are prepared
- a Māori Trustee.
A tax agent must be a registered Inland Revenue customer. Registered customers include all customers registered with Inland Revenue, either individuals or entities. Registered customers include some entities and people no longer active.
The data for these statistics is available for download from the links at the bottom of the page.
Graph of number of tax agents by geographic area (Total, Auckland, Rest of North Island, South Island)
This graph has four lines, plotting the number of tax agents (rounded) by geographic area for Total, Auckland, the Rest of the North Island and the South Island.
From 2008 to 2017, the number of agents in:
- New Zealand grew 12% (from 4,963 to 5,572)
- Auckland grew 16% (from 1,972 to 2,279)
- the rest of the North Island grew 10% (from 1,893 to 2,087)
- the South Island grew 10% (from 1,056 to 1,160).