We interact with a range of customers on tax, and provide payments that are critical to people's wellbeing.
Our individual customers are paying their income tax, may be putting money into KiwiSaver or have a student loan. They want clear timelines and expectations from us and to know that they’ve got things right.
We administer student loans with the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Social Development (MSD).
- Individual income tax
- 3.3 million customers received an automatic individual income tax assessment in the tax year to March 2021.
- We transferred $8.8 billion to KiwiSaver scheme providers to invest in 2021-22. On 30 June 2022, over 3.2 million people were enrolled in KiwiSaver.
- Student loans
- More than 658,000 student loan customers paid $1.6 billion in repayments in 2021-22.
Some families receive social policy payments from us. Many customers are facing hardship and have complex circumstances. We aim to understand their situations, give simple and consistent advice and help them resolve issues if they contact us.
We deliver these payments with the Ministry of Social Development and Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
- Working for Families Tax Credits
- Along with MSD, we distributed a net $2.92 billion in net entitlements to support working families this financial year.
- Child support
- On 30 June 2022, more than 140,000 parents were assessed to pay child support.
- We collected $453 million from parents in 2021-22 and distributed $296 million to carers. The government retains the balance to help offset the costs of benefits paid.
- Paid parental leave
- We made $601 million in Paid Parental Leave payments to around 57,000 parents.
Businesses provide us with employment information and collect tax, which is the basis of the tax system. They want interactions with us to be low effort and easy, and many need our support through difficult trading times.
- Employers and companies
- In the 2021 tax, approximately 237,000 employers filed more than 7.4 million employer information returns. Over 395,000 company returns were filed.
- Approximately 677,000 businesses were registered for GST in the 2021 tax year. Businesses filed more than 3.1 million returns.
- COVID-19 support
- We paid out $4.6 billion in support payments and loans to businesses this financial year.