Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual for us to answer calls and myIR messages. This is because of the demand for COVID-19 business support, and the impact COVID-19 is having on our teams. We appreciate your patience and will respond as soon as we can. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

COVID-19 Support Payment (CSP): Applications for the CSP are now closed. Due to the large number of applications for the CSP, there may be a delay in approving some applications. Find out more about the CSP

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

Use this form when you:

  • have agreed on an amount of child support with the other parent or parents
  • want us to collect the money for you.

Before you start

You will need all of these:

  • IRD numbers for you and your children
  • your bank account details
  • your child's birth certificate
  • proof of parentage
  • information about the other parent or parents.

In myIR, select the 'I want to...' tab

Select 'Apply for child support'

Enter the required details and submit

Log in to myIR

What happens next

You do not need to call us.

We will make an assessment within 2 weeks of getting your application.

After that, the liable parent and receiving carer will get a notice. The notice will tell you how much you will need to pay or how much you will get.

  • If you are the liable parent, you have 30 days to make your first payment.
  • If you are the receiving carer, you will get paid by the 23rd day of each month if the liable parent has paid on time.

My responsibilities

From now on, you'll always need to:

  • keep up payments if you are the liable parent
  • deal with debt as soon as possible
  • let us know if the child leaves care, starts working full time or, if 18 years old, leaves school.

Changes to my child support details

You can also fill out the Registration of voluntary agreement for child support – IR102 form.

Both parents or carers must sign the form.

Send it to us at:

Child support
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 27 Nov 2020
Jump back to the top of the page