Skip to main content

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

Special income tax rules apply to local authorities.

Taxable income

A local authority must pay income tax on non-dividend income (for example, rent and management fees) received from a:

  • council-controlled organisation (CCO)
  • port company
  • energy company.

Exempt income

For local authorities, this income is exempt:

  • rates received from ratepayers
  • income from core services (like parking fees)
  • dividends received from a CCO, port company or energy company.

Limitations on income tax deductions 


Local authorities cannot claim a deduction for charitable or other public-benefit gifts made to donee organisations.


Local authorities cannot convert unused imputation credits to a tax loss.

Last updated: 08 Mar 2022
Jump back to the top of the page