Skip to main content

Service changes and updates IR offices, myIR and phone lines (SPK2IR) are unavailable until the morning of Thursday 28 October for planned system maintenance. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) You will not be able to apply for the RSP in myIR until the morning of Thursday 28 October. Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August can apply in myIR from 28 October. Applications for a 4th payment round are planned to open on 29 October. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) The government has announced an increase to the amount and frequency of the RSP from 12 November. Find out more

Businesses get taxed on their income minus any business expenses and other deductions. If you're in business, including self employed or working as a contractor, you need to keep records of your expenses and income and understand what types of costs count as business expenses.

You can claim some expenses related to rental income and property. In some cases you can claim expenses related to research and development. 

Rental income expense deductions

Research and development

If you are not in business, there are some expenses you can claim against your income.

Types of individual expenses

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page