Income tax Dates
The easiest way to claim your donation tax credit is online in myIR - and you'll receive your refund sooner.
Using myIR means we can work out your tax credit without you having to file a claim when the tax year ends on 31 March.
You can submit your receipts any time throughout the tax year or submit them all together at the end of the tax year.
You need to wait till after the end of the tax year to receive your tax credit.
Before you begin
Check the organisation you donated to is on our approved list.
You'll also need:
- receipts for your donations
- your bank account number
- to be registered to a donation tax credit account.
Register for a donation tax credit account, if needed
If 'donation tax credit' is not an option on your home page, you can register by going to ‘I want to...’, then ‘Register for donation tax credit’.
Fill in the registration form then submit it to us.
Once you have a donation tax credit account on your home page, follow the steps below.
In myIR, select 'Enter donation tax credit receipts' in your donation tax credit account
Select 'Add a receipt'
Fill in the details
- the name of the approved organisation you donated to
- their IRD number and charity number, if you have them
- the type of donation
- the date of the receipt
- the amount of the donation
- whether the receipt is shared with a spouse or partner
- to attach the receipt as a digital file.
If you have more than one receipt to submit, select ‘Add a receipt’ again to enter the details of the next receipt.
Attach your receipt
Select 'Add receipt attachment' and then 'Choose file' to find your file(s) to upload.
Your receipt can be an electronic receipt or a photo or scan of a paper receipt.
You can add a description of each document to help identify the receipts you have attached.
Submit the receipt to us
Confirm your details are correct then select ‘submit’.
If you would like to transfer part or all of your credit to another tax account for you or someone else, select Yes.
If not, select No and then select ‘Submit’
Log in to myIR
Follow these steps if you have saved a receipt as a draft and would now like to submit it.
- Select your donation tax credit account.
- Select the ‘Submitted’ tab.
- Select the ‘Donation tax credit receipts’ link under ‘Saved drafts’.
- Select ‘Edit submission’.
- Go back to step 8 above and complete the remaining steps to submit your donation tax credit receipt.
What happens next
After the tax year ends on 31 March we work out your tax credit. We'll be in touch if we need more information.
If you have a tax debt we'll put your tax credit towards your debt and refund you any remaining money. Otherwise we'll pay your tax credit into your bank account. We pay most tax credits by June each year.
If you're an IR3 filer we'll hold your tax credit until you've filed your IR3 tax return and we can confirm your income.