Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 Inland Revenue will continue to provide services throughout the COVID-19 response, including paying Working for Families. Please use our online services as phone contact is severely limited. Find out more >

Income tax Dates

  • MAR 31
    Final date for ratio option provisional tax applications.
  • APR 7
    End-of-year income tax and Working for Families bills are due if you have an extension of time to file your income tax return.
  • MAY 7
    Provisional tax payments are due if you have a March balance date and use the standard, estimation or ratio options.

The easiest way to submit a receipt for a donations is in myIR.

Using myIR means we can work out your tax credit without you having to file a claim when the tax year ends on 31 March.

You can submit your receipts throughout the tax year or submit them all together at the end of the tax year.

You need to wait till after end of the tax year to receive your tax credit.

Check the organisation is on our approved list

Check the organisation you donated to is on our approved list.

Approved donee organisations

    Gather your information

    You'll need:

    • receipts for your donations
    • your bank account number
    • to be registered to a Donation tax credit account (You can register in myIR - select it from the list when you click on 'More' under 'I want to' in myIR.)

    Submit copies of your receipts online

    At any time

    Upload photos or scans of your receipts to myIR at any time including after the tax year has finished.

    You will not need to file an IR526 claim form.

    What happens next

    After the tax year ends on 31 March we work out your tax credit. We'll be in touch if we need more information.

    If you have a tax debt we'll put your tax credit towards your debt and refund you any remaining money. Otherwise we'll pay your tax credit into your bank account. We pay most tax credits by June each year.

    If you're an IR3 filer we'll hold your tax credit until you've filed your IR3 tax return and we can confirm your income.

    If you do not use myIR you have to submit all your receipts after the tax year ends on 31 March.

    You need to complete a 'Tax credit claim form - IR526'.

    Post the IR526 and your receipts to:

    Inland Revenue 
    PO Box 39090 
    Wellington Mail Centre 
    Lower Hutt 5045

    We'll let you know the amount of your tax credit within 12 weeks. If you're a IR3 filer we need to wait until you've filed your IR3 before we can let you know the amount of your tax credit.

    Tax credit claim form IR526 PDF 103KB Download form