If you pay dividends or interest to New Zealand residents, these are known as resident passive income. If you make payments that are resident passive income you'll need to:
- register as a payer
- deduct resident withholding tax (RWT) from these payments
- send the deductions to us.
Resident withholding tax exemptions
Some people or organisations may have a resident withholding tax exemption when:
- income is exempt from tax, including resident withholding tax, under New Zealand tax law
- income is exempt from tax because of any other New Zealand legislation
- double tax agreements allow for an exemption from tax on certain types of income.
Do not deduct resident withholding tax from someone who has resident withholding tax exemption status. Check the exemption register to see if they have this status.