Skip to main content

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Day, Monday 26 September Our phone lines and offices are closed, but you can still get in touch with us. Find out more

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, including for unclaimed money. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Changes to the myIR login screen are coming You will not be able to use myIR between 1pm Saturday 8 October and 8am Monday 10 October. This is so we can update our external authentication system. From Monday 10 October the myIR login page will have a new look and feel, but the login process will not change.

Your bank or financial institution deducts resident withholding tax (RWT).

When you have RWT exempt status you do not have to pay this tax. This means your bank or financial institution stops deducting the tax from payments made to you. 

Who can apply for a RWT exemption

You can apply for an exemption from paying RWT if you're a:

  • amateur sports promoter
  • Board of Trustees
  • charitable estate
  • community housing provider registered with the Community Housing Regulatory Authority
  • community trust
  • company that is a member of the Public Trust group, the Public Trustee or the Māori Trustee
  • finance house or broker
  • friendly society or credit union
  • funeral trust
  • gaming machine operator
  • horse or greyhound racing club
  • improvement or research promoter
  • local or public authority
  • local or regional promotion body
  • not-for-profit organisation
  • portfolio investment entity (PIE)
  • public purpose Crown-controlled company
  • registered bank or building society
  • statutory trustee company
  • tertiary education institution.

You can also apply if you:

  • have earned or think you'll earn more than $2 million a year
  • can prove you’ll have losses, or a resident withholding tax refund, of $500 or more
  • are exempt from paying tax under an Act other than the Tax Acts.

If you're on the Charities Services register

If you're a charitable organisation on the Charities Services register you do not have to apply. We'll automatically give you RWT exempt status and add you to the RWT exemption register.

Approving RWT exemption applications

We'll tell you if your application is approved. We'll also add your IRD number to the online RWT exemption register.

You'll need to tell your payer (bank or fund manager) you have an exemption, and the expiry date (if applicable).

Resident withholding tax exemption register

When we cancel your RWT

We may cancel your RWT exemption if you:

  • gave misleading information in your application
  • no longer meet the conditions it was issued under
  • do not meet the $2 million target (if applicable) or give us satisfactory evidence of your income
  • do not pay your income tax by the due date.

We'll tell you if you we cancel your exemption. You'll need to tell your payer within 5 working days.

Last updated: 29 Jun 2021
Jump back to the top of the page