Skip to main content

Budget 2024 | The Government has confirmed changes to personal income tax, the independent earner tax credit, in-work tax credit, and the minimum family tax credit. Find out more: Personal income tax threshold changes

Te whakahou i te pāpātanga tangohanga KiwiSaver mō te kaimahi Update employee KiwiSaver deduction rate

Your employee can ask you directly to change the rate you use to make KiwiSaver deductions from their pay.

Alternatively, they can request a rate change by contacting their KiwiSaver provider or by submitting a contribution rate change request to us through myIR. We will send you a letter with a list of contribution rate changes requested through scheme providers or myIR on a weekly basis.

They cannot change it more than once every 3 months unless you agree. 

Employee gives you a KiwiSaver deduction - KS2

The KS2 tells you the updated rate your employee wants you to use to make KiwiSaver deductions from their pay.

It can be either 3%, 4%, 6%, 8% or 10% of their gross pay. 

Place the KS2 letter on file

You do not need to send the KS2 to us. Keep the KS2 or letter on file with your KiwiSaver records.

Make the rate change

Make the rate change and apply it from your employee’s next pay.

Your employee does not have to use the KS2 to change their rate. They can also ask you to change their deduction rate in writing, for example by email.

Make sure you keep a copy for your records.

KiwiSaver record keeping

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page