Skip to main content

Foreign investment fund calculator The Foreign investment fund calculator is not working correctly and has been removed from our website. If you need help, please contact us

Wellington Customer service desk Our central Wellington office is currently closed. Please call us on 0800 775 247 to book an appointment with us. Other ways to contact us

Te whiwhi pūtea KiwiSaver ina tāoki Getting my KiwiSaver funds when I retire

Withdrawing your KiwiSaver funds and managing or continuing your contributions.
Those who are retired and have been KiwiSaver members for at least 5 years.
You turn 65 years old, or if you joined before 1 July 2019, have been in KiwiSaver for at least 5 years.

You're eligible to withdraw all your KiwiSaver funds when you reach the age of eligibility (currently 65). 

If you joined KiwiSaver before 1 July 2019 and were aged between 60-64 you would have been locked into KiwiSaver for 5 years. Being locked in meant you could not withdraw your funds when you were 65. From 1 April 2020 you can now either:

  • opt out anytime after you're 65 (and withdraw your savings)
  • keep your funds in KiwiSaver for the full 5 year term (and withdraw them after that).

Choosing to opt out of the 5 year lock in

When you choose to opt out of the 5 year lock in period:

  • you stop getting the government contribution (GVC)
  • your employer stops contributing to your KiwiSaver.

Getting your KiwiSaver funds

When you reach the age that you're eligible to withdraw your funds, contact your KiwiSaver provider.

Getting my KiwiSaver funds at 65

If you turn 65 and keep working, you can still pay into your KiwiSaver account if you joined KiwiSaver before 1 July 2019 and you've have been a member for less than 5 years. (This is unless you choose to exit KiwiSaver when you turn 65.)

If you joined KiwiSaver on or after 1 July 2019 and keep working after you turn 65, you can choose to stop paying into your KiwiSaver account. Depending on your contract, employer contributions may stop.

Getting the government contribution

You can still get the government contribution if you joined KiwiSaver:

  • before 1 July 2019 and have been a member for less than 5 years
  • after 1 July 2019 and are under 65.

Stopping your KiwiSaver contributions

If you receive a salary or wage and want to stop making KiwiSaver contributions, fill in a Non-deduction notice - KS51 and give it to your employer. They will stop making KiwiSaver deductions from your pay and stop making employer contributions.

Restarting your contributions

If you're still a KiwiSaver member you can start contributing again whenever you like. Complete a KiwiSaver deduction form - KS2 and give it to your employer.