Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR or on our self-service line, 0800 257 777. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Cost of Living Payment The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

Generally, any profit you make on the sale of a holiday home is taxable when you:

  • bought the property and you had a intention to sell it
  • have a history of buying and selling
  • sell it within the applicable bright-line period
  • or a person you're associated with are in the business of property dealing, developing or building and the property was bought for the business.

As it's your holiday home, it's not likely to meet the criteria to be considered your main home under the bright-line test, so will not be excluded from the rules.

Exclusions to the bright-line rule

Renting out a holiday home

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page