You'll need to make sure you're eligible before enrolling.
You'll only need to enrol once for the research and development tax incentive.
Before you start
You'll need to answer eligibility questions about whether you:
- are a private sector business
- are likely to spend $50,000 on eligible R&D activities or use an approved research provider in the relevant income years
- will perform the R&D activities in New Zealand
- will either own the results of the activities or be able to use the results for free (this includes you, individually, or your corporate group, partnership or joint venture)
- are controlled by any or a combination of a Crown research institute, district health board or tertiary education organisation.
You'll also need information about your business, such as your:
- business industry classification (BIC) code
- contact details, including a physical address.
Start your enrolment request
From the homepage in your myIR account, select:
- 'I want to...'
- 'Research & Development Tax Incentive'.
Answer the eligibility questions
This is where you give us the answers you prepared in 'Before you start'.
Enter your enrolment details
You'll need to give us your BIC code and contact details. If you do not have your BIC code, there will be an option to help you find it.
You'll be able to ask us to contact you with more information for:
- eligible R&D activities
- eligible R&D expenditure
- record keeping or other requirements
- how government or local authority grants may impact your eligibility
- other information.
Confirm or update your physical address.
Submit your enrolment request
Review your details. Click 'Submit'.
Log in to myIR
What happens next
Once processed, you will have access to the 'R&D tax incentive' (RDTI) account in myIR and you can then complete the required forms and returns.
The myIR account owner will also be able to access the RDTI account and delegate access to your staff or tax agent.
If you asked us to contact you for more information, we’ll do so within 10 business days.