Skip to main content

If you live in New Zealand and your overseas employer does not have an obligation to register as an employer in New Zealand, you have an obligation to register as an IR56 taxpayer.  

You will not need to register as an IR56 taxpayer if your employer registers as an employer with Inland Revenue or arranges for another person to undertake employment-related tax obligations for you. 

From 1 April 2023, if you are a New Zealand-based employee of an overseas employer and received non-cash benefits (also known as a fringe benefit), you will have to include these benefits as gross income in your Employment Information – IR348 (EI) return. You will also need to include any employer superannuation contributions. 

Fringe benefit tax

Calculating non-cash benefits from your employer 

If you receive any kind of non-cash benefit, for example health insurance, you must include the value of the benefit as part of your gross income in your EI return.  

If the non-cash benefit is paid regularly, for example monthly, simply include the value of the non-cash benefit as gross income in your EI return and tax accordingly. You can use the PAYE calculator to do this. 

Self calculate IR56 PAYE  

If it is a lump sum, you will need to calculate the PAYE on it separately to your salary. Then you will need to combine these in your EI return.   

Calculate your PAYE on your lump sum  

If you receive a Working for Families entitlement and receive any kind of non-cash benefit, you will need to complete an Adjust your income - IR215 form. Any non-cash benefits received are not adjustable in your student loan obligation.  

Make end of year adjustments

Calculating superannuation

If your employer contributes to a superannuation scheme or fund, you need to account for Employer superannuation contribution tax (ESCT).

Employer superannuation contribution tax 

There are two options: 

  • Add this in the EI ESCT field, or 
  • opt for it to be taxed as PAYE. This means your income is increased and now included for Working for Families, child support, independent earner tax credit and any student loan payments. 

Deduct ESCT under the PAYE rules  

Last updated: 21 Feb 2023
Jump back to the top of the page