Skip to main content

Resurgence Support Payment RSP Applications for the RSP for businesses affected by the 17 August alert level change are still open. Find out more

COVID-19 - Our offices are currently closed for customer visits so we can support the government’s COVID response. We will contact you if you have already booked an appointment with us. You can still contact us and get help.    Contact us

Second Resurgence Support Payment Applications for the 2nd Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) for the alert level increase that started on 17 August are now open Resurgence Support Payment

Register for GST

If a Māori authorities turnover from a taxable activity will be more than $60,000 in a 12 month period, they need to register for GST. A Māori authority can also choose to register for GST voluntarily if their turnover from a taxable activity is less than $60,000.


GST on Koha

Register as an employer

If a Māori authority employs staff there are employer obligations they need to meet. A Māori authority may also need to pay tax when they give money, goods or services – koha – as reimbursement to someone for providing a service.

Employing staff

PAYE and Koha

Māori Land Court

Māori authority members are subject to other duties under the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993. All members of a Māori authority are responsible for ensuring tax obligations are met. Any change in members of a Māori authority as a result of appointing, replacing or removing a trustee of a Māori land trust or shareholder of a company, must be notified to Inland Revenue and supported by documentation from the Māori Land Court.

For more information, contact the Māori Land Court.

Māori Land Court

You can also choose someone to act on behalf of your Māori authority. We can only discuss tax information with authorised persons.

Getting someone to act on my behalf

Last updated: 19 Oct 2020
Jump back to the top of the page