Skip to main content

Income you get from overseas, including your diplomatic salary, is exempt from tax in New Zealand if you are:

  • a diplomat
  • a non-resident taxpayer employed at an embassy, high commission or consulate in New Zealand 
  • an officially recognised family member of a diplomatic or consular employee.

You need to pay tax in New Zealand on any income you get from New Zealand. This includes income from:

  • New Zealand bank accounts or other investments
  • private local employment
  • a business you own or part-own.

How to pay tax

New Zealand bank accounts and other investments

Your payer deducts tax from your interest or dividend payments before they pay you.

For the first 183 days you are in New Zealand, your payer will deduct non-resident withholding tax (NRWT). After that, your payer will deduct resident withholding tax (RWT).

Private local employment

If you get paid wages or salary your employer deducts PAYE (pay as you earn) tax before they pay you.

If you get schedular payments your payer deducts tax from each payment before they pay you.

If you earn money from a business you own or part-own you pay your tax at the end of the tax year.

Contact us

Talk to us or your tax agent about your situation. We can help you to understand your tax obligations and entitlements.

Email us


Non-resident enquiries