Skip to main content

When you're working for a charity overseas, you can apply to keep your student loan interest-free for up to 24 months.

You'll be treated as though you're still in New Zealand.

Qualifying for an interest-free student loan

To qualify:

  • the main reason you travelled overseas must be for volunteer work (or work for a token payment)
  • your overseas volunteer work must be for an approved charitable organisation. 

The organisation that you’re volunteering for must either:

  • be on the approved charitable organisations list at the time we grant the application
  • have been on the list when you did the work, if you've completed it.

You can apply if the work you do is to relieve either:

  • poverty
  • hunger
  • sickness
  • the impacts of war
  • the impacts of a natural disaster.

You can also apply if the country you work in is on the OECD list of countries receiving development assistance, and you're working to either:

  • improve the economy
  • raise educational standards.

List of approved charities

Letter from your charity

If your organisation is on our list of approved charities, you'll need a letter from them confirming your details and the kind of work you do for them. Find more information on 'Volunteering overseas when I have a student loan'.

Volunteering overseas when I have a student loan

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page