Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

Not-for-profits can follow these steps to apply for an income tax exemption or $1,000 income deduction.

Registered charities and some other not-for-profits automatically have exemptions and do not need to apply.

Before you start

You’ll need to provide:

  • your IRD number
  • a copy of your not-for-profit’s rules, constitution, trust deed or other founding documents
  • your NZBN or incorporation number, if you have one.

You should also check you meet the requirements for a tax exemption or income deduction.

Tax exemptions for other types of not-for-profits
Pay less tax with a not-for-profit income deduction

Write to us

Write to us stating if you're requesting an income tax exemption or $1,000 income deduction. You'll need to include details of why you meet the requirements for one of these.

Attach your supporting information

Attach the information you gathered before you started, for example, a copy of club rules.

Send us your application

Send us your application as a secure message in myIR or by email to [email protected]

Or you can post it to:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

How to send a message in myIR

Last updated: 15 Nov 2022
Jump back to the top of the page