Skip to main content

If you are a New Zealand charity whose purposes are mainly overseas, you can apply for overseas donee status. This means people can claim a tax credit (refund) on cash donations they make to your charity.

Your charity must be named in tax legislation for people who donate to qualify.

List of charities and not-for-profits with donee status (Schedule 32, Income Tax Act 2007)

Who can get overseas donee status

The money your charity receives must go towards at least 1 of these things.

  • Relieving poverty, hunger, sickness, damages from war or natural disaster.
  • The economy of developing countries recognised by the United Nations.
  • Raising the educational standards of a developing country recognised by the United Nations.

Charities cannot get overseas donee status if they form to support or administer any:

  • religion
  • cult
  • political creed.

Apply for overseas donee status

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 15 Nov 2022
Jump back to the top of the page