Skip to main content

North Island flooding Many of you have been affected by the flooding in the North Island and may need help keeping up with your tax obligations. Find out more

Different types of not-for-profits have different tax benefits and obligations.


Charities need to be working in New Zealand and registered with Charities Services to get full tax benefits. 

Education centres

These include schools run by boards of trustees, charities and businesses.

Community housing providers

Community housing providers do not need to pay income tax or file returns if they meet certain requirements.

Sports clubs and societies

Sports clubs, societies, trusts and associations may not need to pay income tax if they meet our requirements.

Other not-for-profits with tax exemptions

Find out about tax exemptions for less common not-for-profits, including friendly societies, research organisations and not-for-profits that promote a town or region.

Tax exemptions for other types of not-for-profits

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 15 Nov 2022
Jump back to the top of the page