Skip to main content

North Island flooding Many of you have been affected by the flooding in the North Island and may need help keeping up with your tax obligations. Find out more

Charities are a common sort of not-for-profit that exists to help people or benefit the public.

To get full tax benefits, charities need to be registered with Charities Services at the Department of Internal Affairs.

Charitable trusts

Charitable trusts cannot claim tax benefits as a charity unless they are registered with Charities Services. This is different from being registered as a charitable trust with the Companies Office.

If they are only registered with the Companies Office, they can claim the $1,000 income deduction if their trust rules meet our requirements.

Use the right wording in your not-for-profit rules or constitution

Pay less tax with a not-for-profit income deduction

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 15 Nov 2022
Jump back to the top of the page