Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Check your information

If you are paid Working for Families weekly or fortnightly, each year we send you a notice telling you how much we will pay you for the coming year. If anything is incorrect in the notice, you need to let us know. You can update your details in myIR or call us.

If you don't tell us about changes as they happen, your weekly/fortnightly payments may reduce, stop, or you may get a bill at the end of the year. The sooner you tell us about a change in your details, the better.

Tell us about changes

You need to tell us when:

  • your family income changes
  • either parent's hours of work change
  • children come into or leave your care
  • shared care arrangements change
  • your child starts or stops receiving a benefit
  • your child works 30 or more hours a week
  • your child is still at school after turning 18
  • your relationship status changes
  • you or a family member moves to another country
  • any private child support payments you pay or receive change.
  • your name or contact details change
  • you want your payments to go to a different bank account.

If you are stopping or starting a benefit, Work and Income will send your details to us. You do not need to do anything to continue to receive payments. You still need to tell us about any other changes.

If your family income changes during the year 

You will need to let us know if your family income changes. When you get in touch with us to tell us your new income figure, make sure you include income you have already earned and income you expect to earn up to 31 March.

Your annual family income includes any of the following:

  • salary and wages
  • ACC
  • benefit income
  • NZ Superannuation
  • student allowance
  • business income
  • child support you pay or receive either though us or in a private agreement.

You also need to think about how your family income might change, such as:

  • overtime or extra hours
  • pay rises
  • lump sum payments such as a bonus
  • changing jobs
  • starting or returning to work
  • redundancy payments.

There are other types of income and income adjustments you need to tell us about.

 Types of income we need to know about

John works 40 hours a week

John normally works 40 hours a week and earns $20 an hour.

$20 × 40 hours = $800 before tax income

$800 ÷ 7 days = $114 a day

$114 × 365 = $41,610 annual income

John gets a bonus during the year of $1,500

$41,610 + $1,500 = $43,110

John estimates his income for Working for Families payments will be $43,110

Ross and Kelly have an income increase

Ross is paid $50,000 a year. On 1 December Kelly gets a part-time job working 8 hours a week on $19.00 per hour. Her employer tells her there will be overtime available. Kelly works out her income estimate based on 10 hours a week to make sure overtime is included.

At the start of the year, Ross and Kelly estimated their family income at $50,000. Now that Kelly has a job they will estimate again.

Kelly's estimated earnings up until 31 March.

$19 × 10 hours = $190  a week before tax income.

$190 × 17 weeks = $3,230

$50,000 + $3,230 = $53,230

$53,230 is Ross and Kelly's new income estimate.

Kelly logs in to myIR and updates her family income details from 1 December.