Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

You have a few options for repaying Working for Families overpayments. Choose one that best fits your situation.

Applying for an instalment arrangement

Instalment arrangements can make things easier by splitting up what you owe over weekly or fortnightly repayments.

You can set up this type of payment plan either by:

  • applying in myIR
  • sending us a message in myIR
  • calling us.

You'll be able to pay us by:

  • direct debit
  • credit or debit card
  • internet banking
  • using future Working for Families payments.

Using future Working for Families payments

Some customers prefer to pay us back using their future Working for Families payments. When applying for an instalment arrangement, you'll be able to choose:

  • 'WfFTC entitlements' - when selecting a payment option
  • the amount you want taken off your Working for Families payments
  • the start date for the instalment arrangement.

If paying money back just is not possible right now, we’ll work with you to come up with a solution. We want to make sure your repayments are at an amount you can afford.

Apply for an instalment arrangement

Working for Families and Best Start - contact us

Paying the total amount

You can pay the full amount owed by logging in to myIR and selecting 'Make a payment' from your Working for Families account.

Again, we want to make sure you can afford your repayment. If paying the full amount right away will not work for you, we encourage you to apply for an instalment arrangement.

Log in to myIR

Applying for financial relief

If you cannot meet your payments, we can try to make things easier. We might be able to write off all or some of your bill. We'll ask you about your financial situation before making a decision.

Apply for financial relief - individuals in New Zealand

Getting the right Working for Families payments

Being overpaid Working for Families happens when we do not have your family or income details up to date. If any of those details change, make sure you let us know.

This helps to make sure you get the right amount of Working for Families in the future.

Changes to your family or income details

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 28 Jan 2021
Jump back to the top of the page