Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

The in-work tax credit is available for working families. It's available to all families who are not getting an income tested benefit or student allowance and have some income from paid work each week.

You can also make changes to your minimum family tax credit here. To get this payment you must work for salary or wages and not be self-employed.  A single parent must work at least 20 hours a week.  In a two parent family, one or both parents between them, must work at least 30 hours a week. 

If your income source changes and you either start or stop being entitled to these tax credits, you will need to let us know.

Types of Working for Families payments

If you get weekly or fortnightly payments, any changes you tell us about before 6pm on Mondays will affect your payment for that week.

Log in to myIR

Select 'Family details'

Under 'Working hours' select 'Update work hours'

Add the start or stop date to your in-work tax credit entitlement, then select 'next'.

Update any entitlement to Minimum family tax credit, then select 'next'.

Submit changes

You can send us a message in myIR or call us.

Working for Families and Best Start - contact us