Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

As a customer of Inland Revenue you may have legal obligations to provide information to us. You can provide us with certain information through:

  • our online forms provided on, or accessed through our websites
  • myIR Secure Online Services (myIR)
  • your third party service provider that may connect to your myIR account.

By registering and activating a myIR account, you as the owner, and Inland Revenue as the provider, agree to correspond with each other electronically through your myIR account.

You may send us documents using the myIR secure mail service. If you have been issued a response code you can upload requested document service and enter the response code.

We only consent to receiving, electronically, any notice to dispute or object to an assessment or determination (eg a Noticed of Proposed Adjustment), in one two ways. These are by using the:

  • myIR secure mail service where a disputes document must be identified by selecting the Disputes Documents category, or
  • Upload requested document service and entering the relevant response code, if you have been issued one.

Unless specifically agreed with you, we do not consent to:

  • receiving disputes documents by any other electronic means 
  • the use of myIR secure mail service, the messaging service via eServices, or any Inland Revenue email addresses (either specific or general) as an address for service of any documents.

We are not obliged to accept information by any other means of electronic communication unless specifically agreed with you. We also cannot correspond with you on individual tax matters through our websites or social media pages. However, we may answer general tax related queries from time to time.

Unless we state otherwise, if you have provided your email address or mobile phone number to us, we may use these to send you:

  • reminders about your tax affairs
  • information about our products and services, and to communicate with you.

If you have a third party service provider, they may provide you with reminders or notifications. Inland Revenue is not responsible for communications from third party providers.

Electronic messages received from Inland Revenue are not included in the definition of commercial electronic message for the purposes of section 6 of the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.