Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

When you first get in touch with us, we'll do our best to resolve your complaint. If you're not happy with the outcome, you can use our Complaints Management Service. We will review your issue and respond to you with a complaint outcome.

Complaints guide 

This guide explains:

  • How you can make a complaint or get help making a complaint.
  • What happens when you make a complaint.
  • What you can expect from us.
  • What we need from you to take your complaint forward.
  • How to have your complaint reviewed if you are not satisfied with the outcome.


Complaints form

The best way for you to file a complaint is to use our complaints form. This gives us the information we need to review your issue.

Complaints form

Other ways to make a complaint

Call us

Location Phone
New Zealand callers 0800 274 138
Overseas callers +64 4 832 5232

Additional countries can now call us for free from Australia, Canada, United States of America, China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, South Korea and United Kingdom:

Overseas customers ─ our tollfree numbers

Write to us

Postal address:

Complaints Management Service
Inland Revenue
PO Box 2198
Wellington 6140

What happens when you make a complaint

  • We will acknowledge your complaint by sending you a complaint case number within one business day of receiving your complaint.
  • We aim to resolve your complaint within 10 business days. If we need more time to resolve your complaint, we will explain why and will keep you informed of progress.
  • We will send you a complaint outcome using your preferred method of communication, usually an email, letter or phone call.

If you are not satisfied with your complaint outcome

We may advise you to contact the Office of the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman usually expects you to have first tried to resolve the issue with us using our complaints processes.   

Ombudsman New Zealand -

Disputes process

If you disagree with an assessment or decision, contact us by sending a message in myIR or calling our contact centre. If we cannot resolve the issue and you still disagree with our decision or assessment, you may consider a formal dispute process.


Last updated: 15 Jan 2024
Jump back to the top of the page