Make a payment
Individual income tax Tāke moni whiwhi mō te takitahi

Tax refunds

Who can get a refund?

You could be eligible for a refund if you:

  • earned less than $48,000 in the last tax year
  • had a part-time job in the last tax year
  • took an extended break or only worked for part of the last tax year
  • had more than one job in the last tax year.

How do I get my refund?

Date Action

1 April

You can check if you're eligible.


If you're eligible, you can use our calculator in myIR Secure Online Services to do a no-obligation check before you request your personal tax summary (PTS). This is a summary of your income and tax details for the tax year.

If the calculator shows you could be due a refund, you can go ahead and request your PTS. You'll just need to select the tax year you want to request, tick the declaration box, then click request again.


Your PTS will be ready to confirm in myIR. All you have to do is check each part of your PTS is correct by going through your PTS confirmation checklist in myIR.

You'll also need to check your bank account details are correct so we know where to refund your money.

Then you can confirm and submit your completed PTS to us and you'll get your refund within five working days.