Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

You can file an interim imputation return at any time during the tax year. You may want to do this if your company's income tax refund is limited by the closing imputation balance at the end of the previous tax year, but more credits have arisen in its imputation credit account since that time.

The interim imputation return must cover the period from 1 April to a date not more than 7 days before the date the company files the interim imputation return.

If you file an interim imputation return you must still file an Annual imputation return - IR4J for the full tax year 1 April to 31 March.

Before you start

You'll need your company's:

  • opening balance at the start of the tax year (1 April)
  • credits
  • debits.

After you log in to myIR, go to your income tax account

Select the 'More...' menu

Select the Interim IR4J under the 'Payments, refunds and returns' heading

You'll need to:

  • select your income types
  • enter the required information
  • complete any additional forms that apply to your situation.

Our Annual imputation return guide will help you.

Log in to myIR

You can also send us a completed IR4J by attaching it to a message in myIR, or by posting it to us at:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39090
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

Use the Annual imputation return - IR4J when filing an interim imputation return.

What happens next

We’ll use your return to update your running balance for your imputation credit account.

It will be updated with the latest return’s income tax payments, transfers in, income tax disbursements and transfers out.

The running balance determines which income tax disbursement limitation rules will apply.

If you file an imputation return with a credit or nil closing balance we will not post a transaction to your account.

Any imputation liabilities will be managed through your company’s income tax account.