Skip to main content

North Island flooding | Many of you have been affected by the flooding in the North Island and may need help keeping up with your tax obligations. Find out more

In myIR, select your return

Select the 'Returns' tab then 'View or amend return' next to the return you want to change.

Select 'Amend return'

This is under ‘I want to’ on the right side of the page. You’ll then see details of the return you originally filed.

Fix the mistake

Go through your return. Amend the return to show the right details, tell us why you amended it, then resubmit your return.

Log in to myIR

You can call us and ask us to fix your mistake.

Contact us - general enquiries

What happens next

We process your corrected return and send you a notice of assessment showing any refund you are due or tax to pay. We send the assessment to you within 10 weeks.

My responsibilities

You need to keep these records and provide them if we request them:

  • the return period the mistake occurred in
  • the amount involved
  • the nature of the mistake
  • the return period the correction was made.

Keep a copy of all returns that you send to us. This will help if you need to make changes to a return and support what you have done.

Last updated: 25 Mar 2021
Jump back to the top of the page