What is an individual income tax return - IR3?
The tax year is from 1 April to 31 March.
An individual income tax return:
- tells us the amount of expenses you are claiming
- tells us about the amounts and types of untaxed income you received
- calculates if you are due a refund or have tax to pay.
Who needs to complete one?
You need to complete an individual income tax return at the end of the tax year if you received more than $200 (before tax) in income that we have not been told about, even if this was only for part of the tax year. Commonly this includes income from:
- rental property including Airbnb and Bookabach
- wage subsidy
- research and development tax incentives
- 'under the table' cash jobs
- an estate, trust or partnership.
We’ll provide you with the information we already have about your income and tax paid during the year, such as salary or wages.
Different return for non-residents
If you are not a New Zealand tax resident, you'll need to file an IR3NR instead.
Reasons you may need to complete an individual income tax return
- are filing a return for someone who died if there's a requirement to file a return for this year
- received untaxed income in the previous tax year which you didn’t tell us about
- received income as a shareholder in a company, or as a beneficiary of a trust in the previous tax year
- received interest or dividends from a partnership, look-through company, trust or estate
- have an overdue income tax return for the previous year
- registered for GST - unless you're an IR56 taxpayer
- registered as an employer - unless you're an IR56 taxpayer, or your only employee is a nanny or private domestic worker, or you received individualised funding for payments to a disabled person or Ministry of Health funded family care
- use the AIM method to work out your provisional tax
- changed your balance date partway through the year
- have a non-standard balance date.
You can check to see if you need to complete an individual tax return.
Not sure if you need to complete a return?
If you do not think you need to complete an IR3, contact us to discuss your situation.
When is your individual tax return due?
You need to send us your return by 7 July unless you have a tax agent or an extension of time.