If you pay non-resident passive income (NRPI) you must deduct non-resident withholding tax (NRWT) and register as a payer.
Before you start
You will need:
- the IRD number for your organisation or for each branch
- your organisation name or payer name
- your trade name, if you trade under a different name from your registered name
- your payment start dates
- to work out how often you’ll pay NRWT
- who will be the contact for us.
If you're also registering as an approved issuer so you can pay approved issuer levy (AIL), you'll need:
- the expected AIL for each year
- a description of security
- the issue date of security
- the date of redemption
- the face value of security in New Zealand dollars
- the redemption value
- an interest or coupon rate.
In myIR, go to 'I want to...'
Select 'Register for new tax accounts'
You'll find this under 'Registration, application and enrolment'.