Skip to main content

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

Te whiwhi i taku pūtea KiwiSaver mō tōku kāinga tuatahi Getting my KiwiSaver savings for my first home

You may be eligible to either withdraw savings from KiwiSaver or receive the First Home Grant, when buying your first home.
First-time home buyers.

Talk to your KiwiSaver provider and Kāinga Ora - Homes and Communities about buying your first home.

You must be in KiwiSaver for at least 3 years before you withdraw funds for your first home.

You can withdraw:

  • your contributions
  • your employer's contributions
  • the government contribution
  • interest you have earned
  • fee subsidies (if you got these).

You must leave $1,000 in your account. Funds transferred from an Australian Complying Superannuation scheme cannot be withdrawn.

Kāinga Ora - Homes and Communities KiwiSaver first-home withdrawal webpage

KiwiSaver HomeStart grant

Depending on whether you're buying an existing home or a new build - you can get up to $10,000 towards buying your first home using the KiwiSaver HomeStart grant.

HomeStart helps people buy their first home, but if you’ve owned a home before you might still qualify.

Kāinga Ora - Homes and Communities administers this grant.

Kāinga Ora - Homes and Communities First Home Grant webpage

Use myIR to help with your HomeStart grant application

You can use myIR to create a PDF document of all of your KiwiSaver deductions and contributions. This helps with your HomeStart grant application.

You can then either print it out or save and email it to Housing New Zealand.

Log into myIR

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page