Skip to main content
Check out our new content, navigation and design for KiwiSaver.

Getting my funds when I move overseas

Access your savings when you move abroad.
Applies to anyone moving to Australia permenantly or those living overseas for over a year.

Moving to Australia permanently

If you're moving to Australia, you can transfer your KiwiSaver savings to an Australian superannuation scheme. You do not have to transfer your KiwiSaver to Australia though.

Contact your KiwiSaver provider if you decide to transfer your KiwiSaver. They can take you through the process.

Moving to any other country

After you've been living overseas (not Australia) for 1 year, you can take most of the savings from your KiwiSaver.

You can withdraw:

  • your contributions
  • your employer's contribution
  • the $1,000 kickstart (if you got it)
  • fee subsidies (if you got these)
  • interest you have earned.

You cannot take out the government contributions.